The Historical attractions in and around Sevenoaks include



Set in a 1,000 acre deer park owned and maintained by Lord Sackville and dominating the town of Sevenoaks, the magnificent stately house of Knole is the family home of Lord Sackville and one of the largest private houses in England. Begun in 1456 by the then Archbishop of Canterbury it was greatly extended in 1603 by Thomas Sackville, first Earl of Dorset. The 13 state rooms, open to the public, contain pictures, tapestries, carpets and silver and a very important collection of 17th century English furniture. In modern times the house was home to Vita Sackville-West who, with her husband, created the beautiful gardens in Sissinghurst Castle near Tunbridge Wells.

Tel: 01732 450608 for details of opening times and admission prices. The deer park is open all year.

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


St. Nicholas Church

The first church was built on this site during Saxon times, early foundations having been revealed during recent archaeological excavations. The earliest record is in 1122 when the Textus Roffensis lists it as paying due to Rochester Cathedral. The bulk of the present church dates from the fifteenth century. John Donne, metaphysical poet and Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, was rector here from 1616 to 1631, although he rarely visited and appointed a Vicar to carry out the Parish duties.

For a map with the Church’s location please click here

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


Sevenoaks School

The School and the flanking almshouses were built to replace other buildings during the period 1724-1734 to the designs of Lord Burlington, a leading enthusiast of the Palladian style of architecture. The school was first established in 1432 by William Sevenoke who, from an unpromising start as an infant found lying in the streets of the town, became a wealthy merchant in London and eventually Mayor in succession to his friend the famous (Dick) Richard Whittington.

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


The Vine

The Vine has been of importance as a meeting place and recreation ground for centuries. When the Archbishops of Canterbury held land in Sevenoaks, they probably established a small vineyard here. Eventually it came into the possession of the Sackville family and was held by them until 1773 when the 3rd Duke of Dorset gave it to the Town. The Sackville family were keen patrons of cricket and The Vine became one of the earliest of cricket grounds, and reputedly the first one in Kent on which a match was reported in the press.



[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


The Shambles

The Shambles, in medieval times, housed the booths and slaughter houses of the butchers, conveniently close to the market. The narrow lanes of the small triangle between the High Street, London Road, and Bank Street reflect the medieval pattern of development, for here was the trading part of the old town. Many of the buildings are anciently framed in timber behind more recent facades.

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


The Red House

Built in 1686, this 17th century house was home to a branch of the Austen family. Jane Austen visited her great uncle here as a girl, and some initials of what may have been members of the family are inscribed in the red brickwork of the attractive 17th century building.

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


Chartwell House

Now owned by the National Trust, Chartwell near Westerham, was home to Sir Winston Churchill from 1924 until his death in 1965. The rooms, which are kept as they were in his lifetime, house maps, photographs, books and mementoes bringing to life the history of Britain during the 20th century. The museum rooms contain part of the collection of trophies and objects presented to the famous man during his lifetime as well as some of his uniforms. In Sir Winston's garden studio many of his paintings are displayed. The gardens feature many of Sir Winston's interests - the lakes which were dammed create an island, the famous wall surrounding the one-time kitchen garden he built and the lovely Golden Rose Walk, a gift to Sir Winston and Lady Churchill on their golden wedding anniversary.

Enquiries: 01732 866368

[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]


Hever Castle

A romantic double moated castle the history of which stretches back over seven centuries. Hever Castle is best known as the childhood home of Anne Bolyne and Henry VIII is known to have visited her here during their long courtship. In 1903 the estate was acquired by the American millionaire, William Waldorf Astor, who invested time, money and imagination in restoring the castle and grounds. Inside the walls were covered with rich carving and the rooms were filled with antiques, paintings and tapestries. Outside he further enhanced the setting by creating glorious gardens which included the unique Italian Garden, the traditional yew maze, a 35 acre lake and a rose garden.


[ return to top ] [return to Sevenoaks page ]